Benijófar is no ordinary Spanish town. It is one of the most emblematic places in the Vega Baja, in a strategic and commercial enclave since ancient times. Its origins as a settlement date back to it’s Arabic past over 500 years ago. Its name derives from the Arabic for “Son of Jófar”, Jofar literally meaning pearl. .
In 1582, it appears for the first time as a settlement that belonged to jurisdiction of Orihuela, purchased by the College of Preachers. Its influence in the region became apparent when in the late 17th century, the town leads the regions recovery both social and economical when the fertile land in and around Benijofar became occupied as it had never been before.
In 1729 it became officially recognized as a town under the “Alfonsine Decree” which allowed the town to become and independent municipally in the heart of the Alicante province.